Tuesday 21 December 2021

Summer Learning Journey - London bridge is not falling down because it's made by the engineer Sreelakshmi!

''London bridge is not falling down'' ''London bridge is not falling down not falling down'' ''London bridge is not falling down not falling down'' Everyone knows the song London bridge is falling down!  Well guess what there is a new engineer who is a professional that's right it's me so London bridge is not going to fall down... Today's task was to create a bridge. We had to conclude these two things tension which is a pulling force. Compression forces squeeze and push material inward, causing the rocks of an arch bridge to press against each other to carry the load. We had to copy the examples of the bridges shown. I made my bridge out of an egg carton, toilet roll, tape and marker. Here are the instructions on how to make your very own homemade bridge made by the professional engineer Sreelakshmi! Firstly, Carefully cut the top of the egg carton. Next place it upside down. Get two empty toilet rolls and place the empty toilet rolls on top of the egg carton make sure the egg carton is upside down. Secondly, Use tape or glue to secure the two toilet rolls on top of the upside down egg carton. Once you have finished that try putting your bridge down to see if the two toilet rolls are secure. If not try putting more glue or tape to stabilize the two toilet rolls. Thirdly, This is optional. If you want to add road lines to the middle of your bridge you can. You can make one way for cars to go forward and another line for cars to go back. I added road lines to the inside of my bridge. Here is the final look of my Super Duper bridge...

2 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Sreelakshmi,

    My name is Zana and I am a blog commenter from the summer learning journey.

    I am thoroughly enjoying your blog posts as you are writing such witty and entertaining introductions and explanations for each activity! You also take a very scientific approach when you explain this activity as you mention the physics behind the tension and compression forces!

    I think your bridge looks incredible and I like the small details such as the roadlines and the pedestrian sidewalk that you mention possibly adding. It is great that you included very detailed instructions so your readers can also create their own bridges!

    Is science an area that you enjoy at school? You seem to have a great understanding of engineering and physics. I loved physics when I was at school. I found it to be such an interesting topic.

    Keep up the good work and I hope to see more of your posts during the Summer Learning Journey!!

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Afternoon Zana,
    Thank You for commenting on my blog I really appreciate this so much... I'm glad that you enjoyed this blog post. Yes science is an area that I really enjoy at school... I also love physics too... Indeed physics is such an interesting topic :) :) :)...

    Kind Regards,
    Sreelakshmi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.